Women giving as one is not a responsibility but a privilege
How It Works
- Each member commits to donating $100 per meeting ($200 per year).
Guidelines for charity selection are as follows:
- The charitable organization must be a 501(c)(3)
- The donation must be provided to a charity serving the Greater Sarasota area. A national charity will be considered but the donation must be used locally. Supporting the local community is our goal
- The charitable organization cannot be political in nature
- It can be a faith-based charity that provides charitable services – an example being the charity provides shelter to the homeless. However, if the donation would be used to provide faith services or spreading the word, we would not support that activity.
- The organization would not be considered if it provides services that could be construed as controversial. Although it is difficult to specifically say what is controversial, you can contact us directly by email if you have a question as to whether your charity fits the requirements.
- Members can nominate a 501(c)(3) charity by submitting its name for consideration at one of our biannual meetings. Three members will randomly be chosen to pitch their favorite charity by giving a 5-minute presentation followed by a 5-minute Q&A. At the end of the three presentations a vote by ballot will be taken. Only one charity will be chosen.
- Only members who are current in their contributions are eligible to vote at meetings. Members may not vote unless they are in attendance at the meeting. Each member will vote by ballot – the charity with the most votes wins.
- In the case of a two-way tie the membership will be provided with the names of the two charities and a second vote will be taken. If the second vote results in another tie we will randomly pick one of the two charities out of a hat. In the case of a three-way tie we will randomly pick one of the three charities out of a hat.
- If a member presents and is not chosen she is eligible to put her name in the drawing at future meetings. If a member’s charity is chosen that organization is not eligible to win again for two years. The member is still eligible to submit the name of another charity at the next meeting.
- All checks will be made out to the chosen charity. If a member is unable to attend she is asked to mail the check promptly. An email will be sent out the evening of the meeting with all of the pertinent details.
- Membership to 100 Women Who Care – Greater Sarasota is open to ALL women.
- The benefitting charity must agree to:
- Send each donor a one-time thank you and tax receipt.
- NOT use the donors’ names for future solicitations or use the names in any way.
- Send a representative to the next meeting to explain how the funds were used.
If the charity does not adhere to these conditions it will not be eligible for any future consideration.